Wells Smoke House Wells Smoke House

Wells Smoke House

The Wells Smoke House, built by Henry Wells and family sometime around 1846, is an excellent example of the type of structure that farm families used for the curing of meat. It is a 150-square-foot, chinked round-log structure with a cedar shake roof. The original poles that were used for hanging meat are still in place.

If the buildings on a pioneer farmstead were arranged in order of importance to the settlers, the smoke house would be second only to the family dwelling. Fresh meat was placed in salt for a few days and then hung on peeled hardwood poles in the smoke house. After the meat was cured, it was often stored in the smoke house until ready to be eaten.